A what?


2 comments
Over the weekend, I noticed something on Collen's chest.

Since he was born, he has had this sort of "third nipple."  I know...weird right?  I know a lot of people get them, so it really hasn't been a big deal.  Just a little nodule that has been hanging out above his "regular" nipple.  It is/was flesh colored and had the same consistency/texture of a typical nipple, so we - and the doctors - just passed it off as just that.

Well, the day before leaving for the beach, I noticed it getting bigger.  Then, the next morning, it was red and had a white head to it.  I became immediately concerned but decided to just keep an eye on it.  The next morning, same thing....redder and more of a white head.  I call the doctor's office and set up an appointment immediately.  My first thought was that it was a cyst of some kind.  Other theories included a form of staph/bacterial infection or an infected/overactive gland that had been irritated somehow.

I took him in to the doctor yesterday, and it was decided that it was an inclusion cyst.  I thought, "A what?"  On my baby....a cyst?!  So, we had to have it drained....by means of holding him down and having to use a needle to puncture it and drain it.  That was tons of fun...

The doctor successfully drained it and cultured it to be on the safe side.  Collen is now on an antibiotic - just in case - and an ointment to help it heal. It is looking much better!

And I'm thrilled for him that it turns out he doesn't have a third nipple!!  I could just hear the boys in gym class picking on him....or getting him to show it off to everyone. haha

Never a dull moment...

2 comments:

  1. poor collen. so glad you guys had it taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless his heart, but glad he's okay now.
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete