Collen - Week 7


6 comments
I can hardly believe Collen is 7 weeks old! Really....where in the world does the time go?

Collen is growing by leaps and bounds! For the first two weeks, I was concerned that he was going to be on the smaller side....slow to gain weight (not that there is anything wrong with that...but we make big babies...so I expected him to plump up!). Well, for the first 2-3 weeks he was busy getting back to his birth weight. Once he got back to his birth weight, he just kept packing them on! He is one chunky 7 week old.

For some odd reason, I was under the misconception that breastfed babies were naturally smaller...less chunky. However, I'm learning that that was some lie that somehow infiltrated my mind! At his one month appointment, he was nearly 11 pounds, so I'm guessing we are closing in on 12-13 pounds by now. He has the cutest little tubby belly, and it is oh-so kissably sweet! He also has some rather chunky thighs, which are just too adorable.

He is really starting to show his little personality. He wants to coo so badly. He'll get his mouth in the cooing position, but he can't quite figure out how to make it work. I think by next week we'll be hearing some cooing. He is, however, mastering the squeal! He is in his best mood in the morning when he wakes up. He will smile and smile and smile! If you get him excited enough (a fair amount of baby talk is needed to accomplish this), he will let out the cutest squeal! And then he'll look surprised because he doesn't realize he made that sound. :)

Collen is becoming more aware of his hands, and he will bring them to his mouth. He will also bring his hands together at his chest. When we lay him down, he will kick, kick, kick those legs! And when he gets sleepy, he will rub his little eyes. So, he's definitely where he should be developmentally.

He's obviously eating well, so nursing is going wonderfully! For the first 2-4 weeks, I would say, at least once a day, that was going to quit. But I forged ahead, every day being the day that would be my last. When I hit 4 weeks, I couldn't believe I had lasted that long. By 5 weeks, it had become much easier, didn't hurt anymore, and had become less of a burden (yes, I said burden. Breastfeeding is confining, and I'm used to being on the go, so it was pretty cumbersome going from being able to go, go, go to having to constantly be a food source.). Now, at 7 weeks, it is going very well, and we're both having a positive experience with it. I actually dread the day when I have to eventually give it up; it's definitely been a bonding experience. I'll miss it.

Here are some pictures of Collen from the past couple weeks. I have to get better about taking pictures....and especially capturing videos. I promise to be better!


This is part of our nightly bedtime routine. Put a disposable diaper on, get the apnea monitor on, then the pjs.

Gushing at his mommy :)


Waiting for pjs

Collen showing off his gdiaper. Now that we're settled, I'm using cloth(ish) diapers. We got a lot of g-refills (disposable liners) at our showers, and he is about to outgrow the smalls, so I'm using the disposables while he can still wear them. I've used one of the cloth inserts, and I prefer the cloth to the disposable. I'm really enjoying them and not having to buy diapers!




Look at those pudgy legs! He is so handsome :)
We're coming up on 2 months. Aaahh...time...slow down!


6 comments:

  1. aww he's so cute!! :)
    in the last picture, he looks almost exactly like Ayden

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also under the impression that breastfed babies were naturally smaller, but I am a newborn nursery nurse in B'ham, Al and we have a machine that can tell you the caloric value of breastmilk for your own personal milk, and it ranges from 25-32 calories per ounce, and all traditional formulas are 20 calories per ounce, so that difference really adds up(file that in yor useless information that might come in handy one day file)!! Glad to hear it is going so great for you two!!
    Tiffany Hill
    www.takeahillpill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks so cute in his cloth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww I love his little smiles! His chunky legs are so cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad everything with Collen continues to go fantastically (and that you like cloth diapering). Nothing beats babies with that big tummy and rolls everywhere - makes you proud that you're responsible for it (though it *can* feel like a burden sometimes). My boy just started walking and is getting leaner...I miss his roly-polyness. Squeeze Collen's as much as possible while he's still got it (and before he refuses to sit still for snuggles because he wants to be on the go!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsey, tell us more about his apnea monitor. Was that something the doctor recommended or did you purchase that on your own? Also, did you consider the angel care monitor, I can't remember what it is called, that goes off if a baby stops breathing? I have heard both good and bad things about that, which is why I am curious about th apnea monitor. Now that I think about it though, it could be something that Ayden was diagnosed with and completely separate from SIDS. Just let me know! :) Rachael

    ReplyDelete