Down to Two


14 comments
Jeremy and I went house hunting today, since our house is now UNDER CONTRACT! Woo!

Exciting, but it also means it's happening - we're moving - and we have to be out of our house by July 31. Where do we go after July 31? No idea....

For the past few days we've been trying to get loan information in order....trying to figure out what we qualify for....interest rates...monthly payments....yada yada yada. I say "we" but Jeremy makes those phone calls...bless him.

So, while we're waiting to hear back (should be sometime next week), we went ahead and looked around at houses in the areas we are interested in. If you've been following our house selling/house hunting adventure, you know that we want out of the city limits. City taxes, crazy traffic, crowded neighborhoods where you live on top of each other, little yard space, smaller houses for higher prices, city noises, etc. You get the point. We both grew up out in the country/county areas of Nash County, and now that we are parents, we want the same for our kids. We narrowed our areas down to two that we like the most. Oddly enough, they are on opposite sides of the county! Each house has its pros and cons, and they're almost at an even tie.

Here is house #1:

Front

Back

Garage

House #2:


Front




Back

Storage Building

I don't want to list the prices of the houses or go into too much detail, but I will say that it's going to be difficult to decide. What's even harder is that we each like one house over the other. Jeremy's vote is house number one. Mine is number two. However, we can both see the advantages and disadvantages in both as well. Number one is a shorter drive for Jeremy to and from work, and it's definitely closer to Greenville than house number 2. House number 1 is in a neighborhood; house 2 is not. House number 1 has a one car garage; house number 2 has a 2 car garage. Both houses have about the same size yard, but house number 2 already has landscaping and beautiful, established trees. House number 1 is new, never been lived in, and has gorgeous amenities. House number 2 is a resale, but has had a lot of upgrades done to it. It's still older, though. Both are about the same in square footage, just different layouts. I love that house number 2 is in a quiet, country area, but I worry that it might be too far from civilization. House number 2 has neighbors, which is good because they can help keep an eye on things for us. School district for House number one is great; house number two....not bad, but limited. In the end, we know we need to think long term. Definitely a dilemma....

It'll all come together, though. I'm glad that we've at least narrowed our choices down. We know don't HAVE TO jump into a new house right now, but with the market the way it is, we know it would be smart to get into a house now with a lower interest rate while we can. Hopefully next week will be productive and we can get things rolling once loan information comes in. Please be in prayer for us in making the right decision for us, our family, and our future. Also, please pray that this process goes incredibly quickly so Collen can at least have a home to go to when he's born. :)
Stay tuned....

Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Those are gorgeous houses. I'm sure you all will be happy in what ever choice you make. I am praying everything goes smooth with the sale of your house and you can feel settled before Collen arrives. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it is ok if we offer thoughts since you showed us both. Just from the pictures, I liked #2.
    I just like older houses. But, after the information you shared, I switched to #1. :) Mostly, for two reasons: 1-He would have less drive - will be important when he is coaching and wants to get home to see his two favorite people! 2-School District -even though as a teacher, he can probably choose school for his child,you never know down the road -it may be important. So glad you are making progress - can't wait to see how it unfolds for you! We used to live in Greenville and loved the area. I taught at Eastern Elementary School in 1986 - you both were babies, I'm guessing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what about door #3?? Maybe God hasn't even introduced you to the house HE has saved for you. He is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think.

    That's how it happened for us with our last move. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect the right house to fall in our laps just as we were putting an offer on a house we were both settling for!!

    God is awesome....think I'll just say a little prayer that He would point you to the right house whether it be 1,2 or maybe 3.

    Good luck and God bless. What an exciting time for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going with house number 1. I am totally digging the front porch and back deck. Needs some trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like house #1. It looks very cute and its new...I also like being in a neighborhood. Good lucky with everything...fun buying a new house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know a great person that does mortgages. Let me know if you need her contact info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a great person that does mortgages if you need someone! Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad that your own house has been resolved so you can focus on the next step. As a military family, we move all the time and are often at odds over which house we should pursue and what the priorities are, so you have my sympathy! Such a tough, important decision. It's not my place to give my two cents based on your descriptions, so I'll just keep you in my prayers that somehow it becomes clear which direction to go in. And that your timeline works out so there aren't too many transitions or hassles. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the contract! I'm sure that whichever house you choose, it will be perfect!

    (((HUGS)))
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the contract!!! I'm sure that whichever house you choose will be perfect!

    (((HUGS)))

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Advice from the parent of a toddler. It is a fabulous thing to live in a neighborhood with lots of kids. I would advise you to choose a home in a very family friendly neighborhood. My son is 23 months old and we often get bored while my husband is at work and when we go outside there are always a number of kids to play with. In fact, my son only wants to play outside because he loves his friends. The threat of having to go inside will correct almost any unwanted behavior. It is also fabulous to have the neighbors when I have to run out quickly to the store or run into a disaster in the kitchen because they are always willing to watch my son for a few minutes at a moment's notice (of course we return the favor). Also, we can share outdoor toys. We have a trike and little tykes play structure. The neighbors have a water table and sandbox. This way my son gets a variety of toys without us having to own them all. Your heart will guide you in making your decision, but as the parent of a toddler I can't tell you how much I value our neighbors and their children.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!! I love both houses! Have y'all decided?
    Love you, Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gonna go ahead and give you my friend's contact information. She is an awesome Christian person. I know she would love to help you and anyone else with their mortgages. Shannon White-Wells Fargo Home Mortgage-Mobile Phone 252-402-5590. :)

    ReplyDelete